Sunday, January 08, 2012

History In Movies

I used to hate history.  In school, my report cards confirm that I had very little interest in the past.  I guess the only one that stuck in my head was about the Sumerians who invented the sundial.  But since I moved here in the US, I happen to become curious about where all these races in the US came from.  It is no question that in the US, everyone are immigrants, except of course, from the native American Indians.  My museum trips out of state has slowly piqued my curiosity and slight interest in basic history not just for the Americas but mostly the world.  Fortunately, I have seen these movies that, I think, everyone should see:
  • Invictus - I knew nothing about South Africa and Nelson Mandela until I saw this movie.  It's amazing how recent they have embraced democracy.  I am most amazed by how Mandela charmed the Afrikaners to let go of apartheid to the native black Africans through rugby.
  • Schindler's List - A heart wrenching movie that depicts the dark side of the human race.  This is about Oskar Schindler, a German businessman who took big risks to save the lives of Jewish refugees during the Holocaust by employing them in his factories.
  • The King's Speech - Old World royalties do not really interest me but this is more about a person's own struggle with himself.  
  • Hotel Rwanda - Oh, gosh, this is another heart wrenching movie.  A friend recommended this to me and it reminded me of Schindler's List.  It saddens me how cruel we humans can become to one another.  
  • The Motorcycle Diaries - Che Guevara's roadtrip around South America.  This describes the very trip that changed him into the revolutionary that he was.  Very inspiring.
  • Evita
  • Iron Lady

No comments: